Just as I was wrapping up the week, turns out that Valve decided to surprise us with a new Proton version, namely Proton 7.0-2.
Let’s look at the changes together! Since the log of changes provided by Valve is all in random order, we did a little clean-up and categorization to make it easier to read.
New Playable Games
The following games can now be played:
- Atelier Ayesha
- Devil May Cry HD Collection
- Dragon Quest Builders 2
- A Way Out
- Fall in Labyrinth
- King of Fighters XIII
- ATRI -My Dear Moments-
- Guilty Gear Isuka
- INVERSUS Deluxe
- Metal Slug 2 and 3 and X
- One Shot and One Shot: Fading Memory
- Call of Duty Black Ops 3
- Saint Seiya: Soldiers’ Soul
- Medieval Dynasty
- Bright Memory: Infinite
- Double Dragon Trilogy
- Baseball Stars 2
- Elden Ring (it was playable on the Steam Deck on Day 1)
Steam Deck Specific Fixes
Probably a growing category in the future, Valve has now some specific Steam Deck related fixes going into Proton:
- Fix The Last Campfire not starting on the Steam Deck.
- Fix STAR WARS Jedi Knight – Jedi Academy not displaying anything on the Steam Deck.
- Fix Vampyr and The Beast Inside displaying menus a few pixels wide on Steam Decks.
- Fix Apex Legends sometimes starting minimized on Steam Decks.
- Fix Ride 3 having horizontally squished main menu on the Steam Deck.
Join us on Matrix to chat with us and our community!
- Fix Unity games crashing on launch with certain peripherals connected (e.g. Logitech’s Unifying Receiver).
This is something I was always quite worried when it came to Proton: games may work fine at a specific point in time, but new updates/upgrades to released games may not. It’s always going to be whack-a-mole to keep the existing library of games working over time, and the amount of fixes that is still needed on fairly older games is quite large:
- Fix Microsoft Flight Simulator crashing after a recent game update.
- Fix Quake Champions crashing after a recent game update.
- Fix DiRT Rally 2 and DiRT 4 not being able to connect to the game server.
- Fix Persona 4 Golden lacking audio in the cutscenes.
- Fix Civilization VI and Chicken Invaders Universe crashing a few minutes into the game.
- Fix Cyberpunk 2077 crashing with 4.0 audio setups.
- Fix random hang on exit in Little Nightmares 2.
- Fix Assassin’s Creed Odyssey displaying unsupported driver warning in the overlay.
- Fix GTA V randomly crashing on certain window managers.
- Fix STAR WARS: Squadrons displaying warning about outdated drivers.
- Fix Devil May Cry 5 and Capcom Arcade Stadium crashing when scrolling through videos too quickly.
- Fix Teardown randomly crashing.
- Fix VR Chat not handling suspend / resume well.
- Fix Arma 3 launcher.
- Fix Divinity: Original Sin – Enhanced Edition crash on resolution or vsync change.
- Fix Age of Chivalry crashing when starting a match.
- Fix some older games including Deus Ex GOTY, Prey 2006, Quake 4 and Chaser having visible banding especially in shadows compared to older Protons.
Network Issues Fixes
Not to many server/networking related issues, all things considered:
- Fix Quake Live being unable to connect to multiplayer matches.
- Fix Killing Floor 2 not connecting to the item server.
- Fix multiplayer in UNO.
- Fix Uplay / Ubisoft Connect reliably failing to update with fsync enabled.
Video Playback Fixes
Proton still has to cover a lot of ground to support video playback in Windows games, and this new version apparently bridges the gap for quite a few titles:
- Fix video playback in Atelier Meruru, Cook-out, DJMAX RESPECT V, Gloomhaven, Haven, Rust, Rustler, The Complex, TOHU, Monster Train, Hardspace: Shipbreaker, Car Mechanic Simulator 2021, Nine Sols Demo.
- Fix Melty Blood: Type Lumina hanging on the intro video.
- Fix Chrono Trigger intro video stutter.
Not sure why Horizon Zero Dawn is/was running in slow motion (maybe a recent upgrade?) but that’s now apparently fixed. Check out our review of that great game if you have 5 minutes!
- Fix low Forza Horizon 5 performance with fsync enabled.
- Fix Xbox login window lagging with updating window’s content.
- Fix Horizon Zero Dawn running in slow motion.
- Fix Swords of Legends Online performance regression.
As usual there’s going to be some underlying updates of the key libraries that make Proton handle the graphics API translation:
That’s it for now!
You might want to check out the following articles too!
BoilingSteam lets you access our content for free, but writing articles is a constant investment. We don't use ads or sponsporship, help us make our activities sustainable by donating via Patreon or LiberaPay if you prefer it anonymous. You can follow what we do via our newsletter, our RSS feed, our Mastodon profile or our Twitter feed. We also have Peertube, Youtube and LBRY channels. If you'd like to chat, you can also find us on #boilingsteam:matrix.org. (what is Matrix?)