There’s a new Proton version in town, and it’s been a while since there was one. The previous one was in July 2023. This version comes with a long list of fixes and improvements, as you can see from the release notes, but we have organized it here in a more readable way with more categories. The good thing is that it fixes not just new games, but also more ancient ones like Chaos Code - New Sign of Catastrophe -, a fighting game from Arc Systems Released on Steam in 2017.
Games Previously only working with Proton Experimental
The following games can now be played with the new default Proton.
- Arthurian Legends
- CHAOS CODE -NEW SIGN OF CATASTROPHE-
- EverQuest 2
- Oddworld: Stranger’s Wrath HD
- Songs for a Hero - Definitive Edition
- STAR WARS Knights of the Old Republic II
- The Longest Journey
Fixes for launchers
Several launchers had major issues recently with Proton and they are now fixed with Proton 8.0-4:
- Fixed EA Desktop having a blank log-in window after its recent update
- Fixed Ubisoft Connect not working after its recent update.
- Fixed Battle.net always trying to update itself.
General Proton 8.0 regressions fixed
- Fixed controller hotplug issue in Re4_tweaks (found in relation with Resident Evil 4)
- Fixed games crashing when dragging files / images over a game window.
Specific Game Fixes
Here’s a long list of games where small or annoying issues are now fixed with this new Proton 8.0-4 version.
- Fixed Baldur’s Gate 3 launcher sometimes displaying dxdiag error dialog
- Fixed Overwatch 2 stopping to register controller inputs after an online match has started.
- Fixed Aura: Fate of the Ages missing some audio cues.
- Fixed Dwarf Fortress SDL2 beta crashing on launch.
- Fixed some Unreal Engine 4 games (e.g., Stray, System Shock (2023), Dead By Daylight and Warhammer 40,000: Boltgun) crashing with Intel GPUs.
- Fixed Final Fantasy XIII having broken input after main window loses focus.
- Fixed Locoland not allowing to select resolution on Steam Deck in desktop mode.
- Fixed Rainbow Six Extraction not working on the Steam Deck.
- Fixed Ashes of the Singularity: Escalation DirectX 12 mode not working.
- Fixed Age of Empires II: Definitive Edition failing to launch after a recent game update.
- Fixed Age of Empires IV crashing when locale is set to Traditional/Simplified Chinese.
- Fixed Age of Wonders 4’s Paradox Launcher not working on Nvidia GPUs.
- Fixed not being able to interact with minimum requirements prompt in Metro Exodus Enhanced Edition.
- Fixed Ship of Fools crashing when another player joins online session.
- Fixed controller input in Mamashroom and The Bookwalker: Thief of Tales.
- Fixed not working credits in Dark Parables: The Exiled Prince Collector’s Edition.
Enabled nvapi for the more titles
Enabling NVAPI (NVIDIA Application Programming Interface) for certain titles allows for more efficient communication between those games and NVIDIA graphics drivers, potentially improving performance, compatibility, and overall gaming experience. This can result in better optimized gameplay, reduced input latency, and enhanced graphics rendering, among other benefits.
- Alone in the Dark
- Atomic Heart
- Baldur’s Gate 3
- Doge Simulator
- Layers of Fear
- Portal Prelude RTX
- Rainbow Six Extraction
- Ratchet & Clank: Rift Apart
- Remnant 2
- Severed Steel
- Sherlock Holmes The Awakened
- Spider-Man: Miles Morales
- Strayed Lights
- Warhammer 40,000: Darktide
Proton 8.0.4 updates and improvements
As usual the latest Proton now includes some of the most recent changes on various of its components.