A couple of weeks ago I had the chance to get some time with Cheese (based in Australia), who worked on the recent port of Day of the Tentactle Remastered by Double Fine. We actually ended talking for a very long time (Cheese is very talkative, but that’s great because most of what he talks about is really interesting and insightful) so his podcast is just a short, edited version of the bits we found the most relevant to share with you.
Since Day of the Tentacle Remastered was the first port of Cheese (while he was already involved in Linux game development for a long time), it was a great opportunity to learn more about how you should approach porting and games packaging for Linux. He had already provided some great amount of details in his blog post, and I wanted to go a little further with this podcast on some particular points.
You can grab the podcast below, or open it directly from your browser. There’s a feed as well for all episodes.
Download file | Play in new window | RSS Podcast Feed | Duration: 1:21:56 | Size: 104.67M | Recorded on August 19, 2016
Here are a couple of links related to the topics covered in the podcast – since Cheese is a podcaster and blogger himself, there are some links to some of his previous talks if you want to dive in more details in some of the stuff we talked about:
- 00:11:00 – Neverball http://neverball.org
- 00:12:00 – First Neverball t-shirt project http://caffeinatedcontent.com/
- 00:12:40 – Second Neverball t-shirt project http://cheesetalks.net/
- 00:13:30 – Oculus Rift support in Neverball https://youtu.be/ZQ9VDabHGpA?
- 00:14:25 – SteamLUG history https://steamlug.org/about
- 00:20:25 – An incomplete list of games Cheese has helped out with http://cheesetalks.net/cheese/
- 00:29:10 – First meeting with Tim Schafer from Double Fine http://cheesetalks.net/
- 00:39:30 – History of Adventure Game Tech https://www.youtube.com/watch?
- 00:42:20 – How Double Fine, Disney, LucasFilm and Sony resurrected Grim Fandango http://www.polygon.com/2015/1/
27/7921837/grim-fandango- remastered-interview-double- fine-disney-lucasfilm-sony
- 00:42:46 – Correction: LucasArts apparently still exists as a licensing company https://wikipedia.org/wiki/
LucasArts#Acquisition_by_ Disney_and_halting_internal_ development
- 00:43:05 – Making of Grim Fandango https://www.youtube.com/watch?
v=JNhE7zxJymE&list= PLIhLvue17Sd6jWKLk0wD5eU87RWLl Lc8g
- 00:49:00 – Valve’s Steam Runtime repository https://github.com/
- 01:04:00 – Cheese talks to himself (about Linux game porting and Day of the Tentacle Remastered) http://cheesetalks.net/
We hope you enjoyed this episode. Let us know what you think in the comments below! If you are interested in learning more about what Cheese does, I’d recommend checking his Youtube channel. Cheese is often one of the hosts of the SteamLUG Cast, too.
You might want to check out the following articles too!
BoilingSteam lets you access our content for free, but writing articles is a constant investment. We don't use ads or sponsporship, help us make our activities sustainable by donating via Patreon or LiberaPay if you prefer it anonymous. You can follow what we do via our newsletter, our RSS feed, our Mastodon profile or our Twitter feed. We also have Peertube, Youtube and LBRY channels. If you'd like to chat, you can also find us on #boilingsteam:matrix.org. (what is Matrix?)