A couple of weeks ago I had the chance to get some time with Cheese (based in Australia), who worked on the recent port of Day of the Tentactle Remastered by Double Fine. We actually ended talking for a very long time (Cheese is very talkative, but that’s great because most of what he talks about is really interesting and insightful) so his podcast is just a short, edited version of the bits we found the most relevant to share with you.
Since Day of the Tentacle Remastered was the first port of Cheese (while he was already involved in Linux game development for a long time), it was a great opportunity to learn more about how you should approach porting and games packaging for Linux. He had already provided some great amount of details in his blog post, and I wanted to go a little further with this podcast on some particular points.
You can grab the podcast below, or open it directly from your browser. There’s a feed as well for all episodes.
Download file | Play in new window | RSS Podcast Feed | Duration: 1:21:56 | Size: 104.67M | Recorded on August 19, 2016
Here are a couple of links related to the topics covered in the podcast – since Cheese is a podcaster and blogger himself, there are some links to some of his previous talks if you want to dive in more details in some of the stuff we talked about:
- 00:11:00 – Neverball http://neverball.org
- 00:12:00 – First Neverball t-shirt project http://caffeinatedcontent.com/
- 00:12:40 – Second Neverball t-shirt project http://cheesetalks.net/
- 00:13:30 – Oculus Rift support in Neverball https://youtu.be/ZQ9VDabHGpA?
- 00:14:25 – SteamLUG history https://steamlug.org/about
- 00:20:25 – An incomplete list of games Cheese has helped out with http://cheesetalks.net/cheese/
- 00:29:10 – First meeting with Tim Schafer from Double Fine http://cheesetalks.net/
- 00:39:30 – History of Adventure Game Tech https://www.youtube.com/watch?
- 00:42:20 – How Double Fine, Disney, LucasFilm and Sony resurrected Grim Fandango http://www.polygon.com/2015/1/
27/7921837/grim-fandango- remastered-interview-double- fine-disney-lucasfilm-sony
- 00:42:46 – Correction: LucasArts apparently still exists as a licensing company https://wikipedia.org/wiki/
LucasArts#Acquisition_by_ Disney_and_halting_internal_ development
- 00:43:05 – Making of Grim Fandango https://www.youtube.com/watch?
v=JNhE7zxJymE&list= PLIhLvue17Sd6jWKLk0wD5eU87RWLl Lc8g
- 00:49:00 – Valve’s Steam Runtime repository https://github.com/
- 01:04:00 – Cheese talks to himself (about Linux game porting and Day of the Tentacle Remastered) http://cheesetalks.net/
We hope you enjoyed this episode. Let us know what you think in the comments below! If you are interested in learning more about what Cheese does, I’d recommend checking his Youtube channel. Cheese is often one of the hosts of the SteamLUG Cast, too.
At BoilingSteam, we strongly dislike ads and that is why you won't find any during your visit. If you like what we do, please consider signing up to our newsletter (No Spam!). Register to our RSS feed also works. We are on Mastodon and on IRC too (Freenode, channel #boilingsteam). You can reach us anytime via the contact form for feedback, ideas and news tips. We are always looking for more editors/contributors - feel free to candidate!