Just as I was wrapping up the week, turns out that Valve decided to surprise us with a new Proton version.
Let’s look at the changes together! Since the log of changes provided by Valve is all in random order, we did a little clean-up and categorization to make it easier to read.
New Playable Games
The following games can now be played:
- Atelier Ayesha
- Devil May Cry HD Collection
- Dragon Quest Builders 2
- A Way Out
- Fall in Labyrinth
- King of Fighters XIII
- ATRI -My Dear Moments-
- Guilty Gear Isuka
- INVERSUS Deluxe
- Metal Slug 2 and 3 and X
- One Shot and One Shot: Fading Memory
- Call of Duty Black Ops 3
- Saint Seiya: Soldiers’ Soul
- Medieval Dynasty
- Bright Memory: Infinite
- Double Dragon Trilogy
- Baseball Stars 2
- Elden Ring
Steam Deck Specific Fixes
Probably a growing category in the future, Valve has now some specific Steam Deck related fixes going into Proton:
- Fix The Last Campfire not starting on the Steam Deck.
- Fix STAR WARS Jedi Knight - Jedi Academy not displaying anything on the Steam Deck.
- Fix Vampyr and The Beast Inside displaying menus a few pixels wide on Steam Decks.
- Fix Apex Legends sometimes starting minimized on Steam Decks.
- Fix Ride 3 having horizontally squished main menu on the Steam Deck.
- Fix Unity games crashing on launch with certain peripherals connected (e.g. Logitech’s Unifying Receiver).
This is something I was always quite worried when it came to Proton: games may work fine at a specific point in time, but new updates/upgrades to released games may not. It’s always going to be whack-a-mole to keep the existing library of games working over time, and the amount of fixes that is still needed on fairly older games is quite large:
- Fix Microsoft Flight Simulator crashing after a recent game update.
- Fix Quake Champions crashing after a recent game update.
- Fix DiRT Rally 2 and DiRT 4 not being able to connect to the game server.
- Fix Persona 4 Golden lacking audio in the cutscenes.
- Fix Civilization VI and Chicken Invaders Universe crashing a few minutes into the game.
- Fix Cyberpunk 2077 crashing with 4.0 audio setups.
- Fix random hang on exit in Little Nightmares 2.
- Fix Assassin’s Creed Odyssey displaying unsupported driver warning in the overlay.
- Fix GTA V randomly crashing on certain window managers.
- Fix STAR WARS: Squadrons displaying warning about outdated drivers.
- Fix Devil May Cry 5 and Capcom Arcade Stadium crashing when scrolling through videos too quickly.
- Fix Teardown randomly crashing.
- Fix VR Chat not handling suspend / resume well.
- Fix Arma 3 launcher.
- Fix Divinity: Original Sin - Enhanced Edition crash on resolution or vsync change.
- Fix Age of Chivalry crashing when starting a match.
- Fix some older games including Deus Ex GOTY, Prey 2006, Quake 4 and Chaser having visible banding especially in shadows compared to older Protons.
Network Issues Fixes
Not to many server/networking related issues, all things considered:
- Fix Quake Live being unable to connect to multiplayer matches.
- Fix Killing Floor 2 not connecting to the item server.
- Fix multiplayer in UNO.
- Fix Uplay / Ubisoft Connect reliably failing to update with fsync enabled.
Video Playback Fixes
Proton still has to cover a lot of ground to support video playback in Windows games, and this new version apparently bridges the gap for quite a few titles:
- Fix video playback in Atelier Meruru, Cook-out, DJMAX RESPECT V, Gloomhaven, Haven, Rust, Rustler, The Complex, TOHU, Monster Train, Hardspace: Shipbreaker, Car Mechanic Simulator 2021, Nine Sols Demo.
- Fix Melty Blood: Type Lumina hanging on the intro video.
- Fix Chrono Trigger intro video stutter.
Not sure why Horizon Zero Dawn is running in slow motion (maybe a recent upgrade?) but that’s now apparently fixed. Check out our review of that great game if you have 5 minutes!
- Fix low Forza Horizon 5 performance with fsync enabled.
- Fix Xbox login window lagging with updating window’s content.
- Fix Horizon Zero Dawn running in slowmotion.
- Fix Swords of Legends Online performance regression.
As usual there’s going to be some underlying updates of the key libraries that make Proton handle the graphics API translation:
- Update dxvk to v1.10.1.
- Update vkd3d-proton to v2.6.
- Update dxvk-nvapi to v0.5.3
That’s it for now!