Garuda Linux

Home Forums Linux Distros Garuda Linux

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • Author
      cow_killer

Been toying around with Garuda (based on Arch) for the past few weeks. Tried the Ultimate Edition with KDE Plasma. There’s a lite edition with far less software out of the box and has a bunch of other DEs to choose from. All versions ship with the Zen kernel, and use BTRFS as the default file system.

Not exactly being a fan of KDE, I switched to Cinnamon. I also removed several applications since I didn’t need them. Almost broke my system in the process; I think I unintentionally uninstalled software I needed. Problem I’m having now is updating GRUB. There’s actually a GUI application in which you can install additional kernels. After installing a few, I can’t seem to update GRUB, so the entries won’t show up in the BIOS. (Next time, I will use the Lite Edition.)

Need some more time to describe the gaming experience. I noticed there was some weird lag going on with Smash Bros. Melee (around 55 FPS rather than the normal 60), and somehow, I fixed it. Not sure what I did there; I think maybe it had to do with the fact I changed the audio backend to OpenAL, or I just updated my packages. Also played The Long Dark; buttery smooth at around 120 FPS. Might do some benchmarking between this and another distro/kernel.

I might have a full review of this later on, I just need to figure out what’s wrong with GRUB. Also, it seems this distro isn’t using PulseAudio; I think it’s using JACK. I haven’t found any software to enable simultaneous sound output for this, so I currently can’t enable haptic feedback on the DualSense.

• This topic was modified 10 months, 2 weeks ago by cow_killer.
      Ekianjo
      Keymaster

Sounds like you had a lot of troubles! By the way, is there a reason why you switched away from KDE? When it comes to gaming, I don’t personally care too much about the desktop environment as long as it does not get in the way.

cow_killer

Maybe it’s just me, but I feel like KDE is a little bloated. It has a lot of software that just makes the experience a little confusing to me. I like a more barebones DE like Cinnamon or XFCE.

Ekianjo
      Keymaster

It may come down to which distro you use – on vanilla Arch when you install KDE it comes with pretty much nothing pre-installed at all, apart from the very essential pieces of KDE and its settings.

Viewing 3 reply threads
  • You must be logged in to reply to this topic.